Wednesday 8 October 2008

stretch marks

A miracle cream? I think not


If you are pregnant you know that your body goes through a lot of changes. Your stomach stretches like a balloon and other places just aren't the same size that they used to be. But for me it's all worth it to know that soon I will be holding that precious little person, Sean, in my arms. However, you still can't help worrying about developing stretch marks.
From what I've gathered they develop in the middle layer of the skin which is made up of collagen and when the skin is stretched continually past the breakdown point, the body will try to compensate by sending more collagen to the over stretched site. Then it's the excess collagen that causes scar like stretch marks, to develop.

Researchers say that the likelihood of you getting stretch marks during pregnancy will increase if your mother had stretch marks during pregnancy, (my mother had none - YAY!) but there are things that you can do to prevent stretch marks including using a good cream and massage it onto the skin (the massaging action itself can increase blood flow to that area and diminish visible stretch marks).
I have been using a cream regularly that has been recommended to me and it's called Doublebase. It's a cream meant for dry skin conditions, such as eczema and dermatitis and it leaves my skin incredible soft and smooth. But if it's thanks to that, that I don't have any stretchmarks (yet at least), I do not know. I rather believe it's thanks to my genes from my mother, than it being a "miracle cream".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej hej

Hittade till din blogg genom londonsvenskar.com. Tänkte bara höra med dig om du vet någon engelsk sida liknande familjeliv.se? Letar efter ett forum som är lika bra som FL men tycker det mesta på engelska är så dåligt... Du kanske har hittat nåt bra under din graviditet?

Lycka till med allt nu och hoppas de sista veckorna inte blir alltför tunga!

:-) Karin

London Mummy said...

Hej Karin,

tack for din kommentar! :-) Jag forsokte svara genom att trycka reply, men du lamnade aldrig nagon adress, sa darfor svarar jag har istallet.

Den basta sidan har i England ar enligt min uppfattning http://www.mumsnet.com/,da de har storst forum och man far snabbast svar dar.

Hoppas den ar till nytta.

Kram
Catharina

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin